Consultation on Main Modifications to the Cambridge Local Plan
Why are the Councils carrying out public consultation?
The Inspectors have asked that consultation be carried out on the Main Modifications that they consider may be necessary in order for the Local Plans to be found ‘sound’. The Inspectors’ final conclusions will be given in their Reports in due course.
The Main Modifications Consultation Report explains the purpose of the consultation and includes schedules of modifications for each Local Plan. A summary of the issues addressed in the Main Modifications for each Local Plan is outlined in Chapter 3 of the Main Modifications Consultation Report.
How to Have Your Say
The Councils are asking for comments on the Main Modifications Consultation Report and associated Sustainability Appraisal of the Main Modifications. Comments can be made between 9am on Friday 5 January and 5pm on Friday 16 February 2018.
There are a number of ways that you can comment:
View the consultation documents and make comments online using the interactive online response system:
- Cambridge Local Plan: http://cambridge.jdi-consult.net/localplan/
- South Cambridgeshire Local Plan: http://scambs.jdi-consult.net/localplan/
Complete the consultation response form and email to us at:
- Cambridge Local Plan: email@example.com
- South Cambridgeshire Local Plan: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively the consultation response form can be printed, completed and posted to us (our postal addresses are on the consultation response form).
Responses should be limited to the Main Modifications proposed.
NOTE: Representations, including names, will be available to view on the Councils’ websites. Full representations including addresses will also be available to view on request.
NOTE: A small number of Main Modifications apply to both Local Plans. If you are making a comment which applies to both Local Plans you will need to make separate comments to each Local Plan; comments submitted only to one Local Plan will not be applied to the other.
What can I make comments on?
The Main Modifications Consultation Report explains the purpose of the consultation and includes schedules of modifications for each Local Plan. The modifications identify specific changes to the wording of the Local Plans submitted for examination in March 2014 or to the associated Policies Maps.
This consultation does not repeat the consultations already carried out on the Proposed Submission Local Plans in Summer 2013 and the Proposed Modifications Joint Consultation in December 2015. As a result this consultation does not include modifications that have previously been consulted upon, unless that modification has been further amended subsequently. Where amended modifications are included in this consultation, comments are only invited on the new parts of the modifications (bold text) rather than the earlier parts of the modifications that have already been consulted on. However, the ‘provisional’ modification from 2015 to allocate land south of Cambridge Biomedical Campus for employment development is included in this consultation, with revisions.
The Inspectors have advised the Councils take a rigorous approach to accepting only those comments that relate to the advertised modifications. Any comments made that go beyond commenting on the Main Modifications or the accompanying Sustainability Appraisal that are the subject of this consultation will not be registered.
Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire Main Modifications Consultation Report (RD/MM/010)
- Chapters 1-3: Introduction, How to Have your Say, Modifications Summary
- Chapters 4-5: Proposed Main and Additional Modifications to the Cambridge Local Plan
- Chapter 6: Proposed Main Modifications to the South Cambridgeshire Local Plan |Main Modifications, Figures for Chapters 2, 3, 6 and 10 |Appendices and District Maps |Insets B & C, Cambridge Northern Fringe East and Cambridge East |Insets E & H, South of Addenbrooke's and Waterbeach New Town |Insets I & J, Bourne Aitrfield and Cambourne West |Insets 5-11 Bar Hill to Bourn |Insets 14-21, Cambourne to Comberton |Insets 24-30 Cottenham to Eltisley |Insets 35-47, Foxton to Guilden Morden |Insets 50-62, Harston to Kingston |Insets 67-77, Linton to Meldreth |Insets 83-86 Orwell to Papworth Everard |Insets 89-98 Sawston to Swavesey |Insets 102-104 Thriplow to Waterbeach
- Chapter 7: Proposed Additional Modifications to the South Cambridgeshire Local Plan
- Appendix A: Principal Evidence Documents
Sustainability Appraisal of Main Modifications (RD/MM/020)
- Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire Main Modifications Consultation Report £30
- Sustainability Appraisal of Main Modifications £28
- Postage: Individual documents: 1st class £5.22, 2nd class £2.62. Both documents: 1st class £15.85, 2nd class £13.75
What is the Main Modifications Consultation about?
The Cambridge Local Plan and South Cambridgeshire Local Plan were submitted for examination in March 2014. The examination process is being carried out by independent planning inspectors to determine whether the Local Plans are ‘sound’ and have complied with the necessary ‘legal requirements’.
Following completion of examination hearings into the Cambridge Local Plan and South Cambridgeshire Local Plan in July 2017, the plans have reached the next key stage in the process. The Inspectors have now asked that consultation be carried out on the Main Modifications they consider may be necessary in order for the Local Plans to be found ‘sound’. The Inspectors’ final conclusions will be given in their Reports in due course.
The Councils are therefore consulting on the Main Modifications identified by the Inspectors and the associated Sustainability Appraisal of the Main Modifications. At the same time the Councils have published some Additional (minor) Modifications, such as typographical errors and factual updates. They do not formally form part of this consultation but are provided for completeness.
What happens next?
Once the consultation on the Main Modifications has finished, the Councils will register all the comments received and publish them on their websites (via the interactive online consultation response systems).
The comments (in full) relating to the Main Modifications will be submitted to the Inspectors undertaking the examination.
The Inspectors will consider all the comments made on the Main Modifications and decide whether any further hearings are required, or any issues need to be revisited. At the end of the examination process they will present their final conclusions in their Reports into the examination of each Local Plan. If the plans are found ‘sound’, with any necessary modifications, they would be able to be adopted by the Councils.
If you would like further information, please contact the Planning Policy Teams: