We adopted our Fairtrade Resolution in 2001 and Cambridge was declared a Fairtrade City in 2004 by the Fairtrade Foundation. This was renewed in 2012.
The Cambridge Fairtrade Steering Group was established in 2009. Membership currently includes representatives from the city and county councils, and local universities, faith groups, schools and businesses.
Cambridge Fairtrade Steering Group achievements
The Cambridge Fairtrade Steering Group is responsible for maintaining and renewing the city’s Fairtrade City status.
A recent achievement was recruiting a flagship employer, Ridgeon’s, for the city (part of goal 3). Ridgeon’s has agreed to promote Fairtrade to staff, clients and contacts.
The group organises various promotional stalls and events, and participates in the annual Fairtrade Fortnight. Previous events and activities include:
- running a Traidcraft stall at Mill Road Winter Fair and on the market, and promoting a Fairtrade cola in Trumpington
- partnering with Cambridge United Football Club with Fairtrade promoted on match programmes, and players visiting schools
- auditing local retailers, handing FT branded window stickers to those stocking Fairtrade goods
- attending student fairs at Cambridge Regional College and Cambridge University
- co-hosting the regional Fairtrade Forum and a wine tasting evening at Anglia Ruskin University