Our Carbon Management Plan 2021-2026 [PDF, 1.5MB] sets out how we will reduce carbon emissions from our estate and operations to help us achieve objective 1 of our Climate Change Strategy.
In the strategy we set an ambitious target to reduce the Council’s direct carbon emissions from our corporate buildings (including swimming pools, office buildings, car parks, sheltered housing schemes, community centres, arts venues and the crematorium) our fleet vehicles (including vans, trucks and refuse vehicles), and business travel, to net zero carbon emissions by 2030.
The Carbon Management Plan sets out a range of projects to reduce the council’s emissions:
- In January 2021 the Council secured £1.7m funding from Government for a major scheme to install heat pumps, additional solar PV panels and other energy efficiency measures at Parkside Pools and Abbey Pools. These measures will reduce carbon emissions from our swimming pools, which are the single biggest source of energy use on our estate, by more than 440 tonnes per year.
- The Council carried out a review of its fleet vehicles. In July 2020, we committed to procure Ultra Low Emissions Vehicles (ULEV) when replacing vans and trucks in our fleet (where there is a suitable ULEV alternative). This adds to the 12 electric vans introduced to the fleet so far.
- The Greater Cambridge Shared Waste Service will seek to replace all Refuse Collection Vehicles (RCVs) with low carbon alternatives (electric or hydrogen) at the point when they are due for replacement. The service purchased one of the first electric RCVs in the country, and is planning to purchase 5 further electric RCVs for use across the service in 2021/22.
Net-zero carbon assessment
We are developing a new Carbon Management Plan for 2021 to 2026. As part of this work, we commissioned a report to explore how we could reach net-zero carbon emissions for our corporate buildings.
As part of the report, the consultant considered what types of technology we would need to install at our largest buildings. They also estimated the cost of these measures.
Greenhouse gas report
We publish an annual report detailing greenhouse gas emissions from our estate and operations. We do this at the request of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
- Greenhouse Gas Report 2020/21 [PDF, 0.4MB]
- Greenhouse Gas Report 2019/20 [PDF, 0.4MB]
- Greenhouse Gas Report 2018/19 [PDF, 0.5MB]
- Greenhouse Gas Report 2017/18 [PDF, 0.3MB]
- Greenhouse Gas Report 2016/17 [PDF, 0.3MB]
- Greenhouse Gas Report 2015/16 [PDF, 0.3MB]
- Greenhouse Gas Report 2014/15 [PDF, 0.2MB]