The waste generated from our homes has a significant impact on the environment. A large proportion of domestic waste ends up in landfill, but this can be reduced by carefully looking at the amount of materials we order when carrying out improvement works, the amount of packaging that products come in, and reusing and recycling those materials where possible.
Reduce your water use:
- Save water by installing a water butt in your garden. Collect rainwater from your home, garage, greenhouse or shed in water butts and buckets, and then re-use it in the garden. The average rooftop collects 85,000 litres of water every year. A water butt is a great way to put some of this to use. Visit getcomposting.com to view Cambridgeshire County Council's pages to view their offers on water butts.
- View Cambridge Water's website with advice on ways to save water in the home, in the garden and their free water saving gadgets.
Reduce your consumption:
- Find out how to reduce your food waste with this leaflet: food waste leaflet [PDF, 12MB].
- Grow your own fruit and vegetables at home or get on the waiting list for an allotment.
Re-use and recycle:
Compost your food and garden waste to turn it into nutrient-rich compost you can use in your garden. Collect a kitchen caddy for collecting food waste to put into your green bin or compost heap and find out about how you can buy a compost bin or get free soil conditioner.
- Find out what can be put in the blue bins to be recycled. [PDF, 707KB]
- Request an additional blue bin for excess recycling.
Our 'Greening your home' brooklet will provide you with the information you need to make your home and lifestyle greener:
- Greening your home [PDF, 1.9MB] [PDF, 2MB]
- Pick up a copy from the Customer Service Centre at Mandela House, 4 Regent Street, Cambridge.
- Chapter 2: Saving water [PDF, 207kB] [PDF, 207KB]
- Chapter 3: Eating sustainable food [PDF, 465kB] [PDF, 466KB]
- Chapter 4: Efficient use of resources [PDF, 296kB] [PDF, 297KB]
- Chapter 6: Greening your garden [PDF, 0.5MB] [PDF, 515KB]