Tackling climate change is one of our key policy priorities. We declared a climate emergency in 2019 and shared a vision for Cambridge to be net zero carbon by 2030 in our Climate Change Strategy 2021 to 26.
We have set a target to reduce our own emissions to net zero by 2030, as detailed in our Carbon Management Plan 2021 to 26.
Find out more about our work to address the causes and consequences of climate change as we work, with others, to become a more sustainable city:
- Watch our short video about our aspiration to be net zero and how we can all make a difference.
- We are working on a number of different projects across the city, three of which are showcased in this video about our Climate Change Strategy.
- We adopted a Sustainable Food Policy Statement [PDF, 0.2MB] in 2018 and we work with the Cambridge Sustainable Food network, which achieved the Sustainable Food Cities Network Silver Award for Cambridge.
- We’re also working to reverse the decline in biodiversity in and around Cambridge, to help our work to tackle climate change. We passed a motion to declare a biodiversity emergency in 2019.
There are many ways that you can get involved to help Cambridge get to net zero:
- Sign the Cambridge Climate Change Charter and show your commitment to mitigating climate change by pledging to reduce your carbon emissions and find out how to take action.
- Apply for the Sustainable City Grant if you work with a local voluntary or community group, to deliver projects that will help achieve the objectives of our Climate Change Strategy,
- Watch a video about how to reduce your carbon emissions, from the 2021 Cambridge Zero Climate Change Festival.
- Read our ‘Greening your Home’ booklet to find out how to make your home and lifestyle more environmentally friendly.
- Find out how to reduce energy and water use at home and any grants to help.
- Learn how you can travel more sustainably.
- Reduce your waste.
- Learn how to adapt to climate change.
- Find out how to choose and plant a tree in your garden.
- Make your business more sustainable.