Our Happy Bee Streets scheme encourages you and your neighbours to ‘adopt’ your street and take over responsibility for managing vegetation growth, with the aim of improving its biodiversity.
We’re looking for volunteers who care about wildlife, are concerned about climate change, and want to create a healthier environment to live in.
To join the scheme, you and your street will need to meet the following criteria:
- Your street must be in a 20mph zone, to ensure work can be carried out safely.
- The other residents of your street show general support for joining the scheme and are willing to sign up to our Streets and Open Spaces volunteer scheme.
- Your street must not already be part of the scheme or have been rejected from it.
If we accept your street’s application, we’ll expect you and your participating neighbours to:
- Manage unwanted vegetation growth without using herbicides
- Sign up to be a Streets and Open Spaces volunteer
- Work with your neighbours to ensure your Happy Bee Street is a success
- Look at other ways to improve your neighbourhood, such as:
- Planting wildflowers and creating areas for wildlife
- Pruning shrub areas
- Picking up litter and removing graffiti
To support you in return, we will:
- Stop spraying chemicals to control weeds on your adopted street, in partnership with Pesticide Free Cambridge
- Provide equipment to help you remove and dispose of weeds
- Provide health and safety training, covering how to undertake weed removal safely and follow the council’s risk assessments
- Provide specialist advice on biodiversity improvements and wildlife habitat creation
- Provide public liability insurance for your street’s Happy Bee Street activities (subject to completion of a health and safety session)
- Provide a single point of contact for your street, and provide regular communications about the initiative
If we receive complaints concerning the street’s appearance, including unwanted vegetation growth levels, we will discuss these concerns with you at least twice within a four-week period. We will give you time to remedy them before we rescind your application and take back maintenance of the street.