If your pipes freeze:
- turn off the water supply at the stop tap
- turn off the central heating or put out the fire if you have a back boiler
- drain the water system by turning on the taps until they run dry
- find out where the pipe is frozen
- if it is frozen in the loft, open the hatch to let the warmer air in
- thaw the pipe with a fan heater, hairdryer or hot-water bottle
If your heating is affected, and you live in one of our council homes, we may be able to provide some portable heaters. Please contact our City Homes office.