Condensation is a common problem and is caused when moist warm air meets a cold surface such as glass on an outside window.
You can reduce condensation if you:
- cover pans and open a window when cooking
- add hot water to cold water in a bath and open a window
- keep background heating on all the time in winter months
- ventilate rooms heated by bottled gas and paraffin stoves
- open windows when you dry washing indoors
For every pint of fuel burnt in a paraffin stove or bottled-gas heater, one pint of moisture is released into the atmosphere.
If mould starts to grow on walls, clean it with an anti-mould cleaner or anti-fungal wash, which can be purchased from hardware stores.
If you still have a problem, and are a council tenant, contact our City Homes office and we will send somebody to inspect your home.