Borrow a scooter from Shopmobility
If you have a mobility problem, even if only temporarily, we can lend you a wheelchair (manual or electric) or a scooter to help you shop and use other facilities in the city centre.
You can borrow a mobility item from:
Both offices are open Monday to Saturday, 10am to 5pm.
The Grafton office only is open on Sunday, 11am to 4pm.
- All equipment must be returned promptly to both Shopmobility offices by 5pm Monday to Saturday and by 4pm on Sundays (Grafton Centre only).
From April 2018 a membership scheme and hire charge are being introduced. Annual membership will be £40 plus a daily usage fee per piece of equipment of £5. Non-members will be charged £10 to hire equipment. An information leaflet will be available shortly from the ShopMobility offices. Please feel free to email any comments to email@example.com
Before you can borrow a mobility aid, you will need to register with us.
- Registration appointments must be pre-booked and are only available from Monday to Friday.
To register we'll ask you to:
- provide a passport or driver's licence and a recent utility bill
- undergo a short test to ensure you are competent using an electric wheelchair or scooter
- complete a simple insurance form
Book in advance
We advise that you book in advance of your visit. Leave a message and your contact details by email or phone (details below), and we'll get back to you to arrange and confirm your booking.
- If you're going to be late or can't make it please let us know so that we can give your appointment to somebody else.
Appointments and booking
Call: 01223 461858 (Grafton East office)
Call: 01223 457452 (Grand Arcade office)
Meeting you off the bus or escorting you on your visit
- If you're arriving by bus or taxi, we can meet you from the bus station and bus stops
- We can accompany wheelchair users and visually impaired people on a shopping trip or visit, for up to two hours. Slots available at both centres, Monday to Friday, 10am-4pm
For either of these services, you must book in advance using the contact details above.
Using a mobility aid
When you borrow a mobility aid, you are free to travel around the city centre but we ask you to remain within the boundary formed by Queen's Road, Fen Causeway, Lensfield Road, Gonville Place, East Road, Elizabeth Way, Chesterton Road, and Northampton Street.
During cold weather, we may ask you not to use your mobility aid outside of the shopping centres, for safety reasons.
Accessible rest room
A Changing Places toilet and accessible rest room is available in the Grand Arcade office. It contains a toilet, shower, hoist and changing bed.
The room key is available from the office on Monday to Saturday, 10am to 4pm, and from the car park customer services office on Monday to Saturday, 8am to 8pm, and 10am to 5pm on Sundays.