Skip To Main Content

Customer reception points closed except for pre-booked appointments

This takes effect from Thursday 19 March. Our phone lines will remain open

Coronavirus: Updates and information

We are adapting our services as the situation changes. For details and to find out how to get help or volunteer to help others, visit our 'Coronavirus: Help for communities' page. Please follow the official NHS and government advice.

Pay your housing rent

As a council tenant you must pay your rent in advance every week, fortnight or month, according to your tenancy conditions.

Your rent is fixed every April, in line with government legislation for setting rents. If we have to increase your rent, we’ll tell you in writing at least four weeks in advance.

You can pay your rent in the following ways:

Pay by monthly direct debit

The easiest way to pay is by monthly direct debit. You can pay on the 1st, 8th, 15th or 22nd of each month. Download and complete an instruction form:

Pay online

A convenient and secure way to pay, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Pay your rent online

If you prefer, you can transfer money to us – our account number is 201768 20412090. Use your tenancy number as the payment reference – without it we might not be able to trace your payment.

Pay in person

Pay in person at our customer service centre on Regent Street or City Homes office on Arbury Road.

You can also pay anywhere that displays the PayPoint sign, at any Post Office, or at any of the offices listed above using your rent payment swipe card.

Pay over the telephone

Call 01223 457779

  • You'll need your housing rent account number and your debit or credit card.
  • You'll be given a confirmation number at the end of the transaction.

This telephone number is for payments only; enquiries can't be taken on this number.

Pay direct from your salary

Some employers will take your rent out of your salary and send the payment direct to us. You'll need to check with your employer to see if they offer this service and then ask your area housing office for a form.

Your responsibilities

Contact us as soon as possible if you cannot pay your rent each week, or as specified in your tenancy agreement.

If you miss payments and fall into arrears with your rent, we can seek to repossess your home.

If you miss a payment because you’re waiting for a benefit or Universal Credit payment, it’s your responsibility to resolve the situation as soon as possible.

If you’re struggling with debt or finding it difficult to budget, contact us as soon as possible. We’ll try to help you, and if necessary can refer you to a specialist agency. You could also contact Cambridge & District Citizens Advice.