CAMBRIDGE City Council will be operating to a bank holiday schedule on Monday 19 September, the day of the State Funeral of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, which is taking place in London.
All council leisure facilities, community centres and offices, including the Customer Service Centre at Mandela House, will close, but some additional services will also be affected.
This will enable many council staff to pay their respects and join the nation in viewing Her Majesty the Queen’s funeral.
- Household waste and recycling collections will not take place on Monday 19 September, with all collections taking place one day later than usual next week, including on Saturday 24 September. See more information here. Cambridgeshire County Council’s Household Waste and Recycling Centres at Milton and Thriplow will also be closed on Monday.
- The Street Cleansing service will operate from 6am-10am only with a focus on the city centre.
- Public toilets will be open as usual in the city, but there will be no dedicated attendant at Lion Yard, and cleaning will be suspended between 10am and 2pm on Monday.
- The General Market in Cambridge city centre will be closed.
- The Bereavement Services office at Huntingdon Road Crematorium will be closed although pre-booked services will take place subject to the wishes of the families concerned. The cemetery grounds and the city cemetery grounds at Newmarket Road will be open to visitors.
- Council-owned community centres and leisure facilities, swimming pools and leisure centres, including Parkside Pools, Abbey Leisure Complex, Jesus Green Lido, and Cherry Hinton Village Centre will be closed.
- The council’s out of hours emergency number will be operating. In an emergency residents can phone 0300 303 8389.
In the period before the State Funeral on Monday visitors can sign an online book of condolence.
A book of condolence is also available at the Guildhall in Cambridge as follows:
- Until 5pm today (Thursday 15 Sept)
- 9am to 5pm tomorrow (Friday 16 Sept)
- 10am to 4pm on Saturday 17 Sept and Sunday 18 Sept
- 9am to 10.45am on Monday 19 Sept