Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Subscribe to email notifications of our service updates and news releases Sign up now

Coronavirus: Updates and information

Find out about available support and how to offer help. Our customer service centre is open to help you by email and phone. Please continue to follow official NHS and government advice.

Temporary change of postal address for City Homes office

Please send any mail for our Housing team to PO Box 700, Cambridge CB1 0JH.

Report of telephone scam targeting council tenants

A fake company known as 'The Outbound Team' have been calling tenants across the country, asking for personal information, but they are not legitimate. If you receive any calls that concern you, please contact us.

Moving out of your council home

If you plan to move out of your council home, you must give us four weeks’ notice in writing. The notice period starts on a Monday.

When we receive your notice, we’ll arrange to visit you to inspect the condition of your home. We’ll identify any work that needs to be completed before you leave. This might include returning any alterations you have made to their original condition.

We’ll arrange a second appointment to collect the keys from you at the property on the day you move out. We’ll check whether you have completed any required work, and if necessary will charge you for any outstanding work.

When leaving your home, remember to:

  • Remove all belongings and furniture, including from the loft, shed or garden if the property has these. This includes carpets unless we have agreed otherwise with you. We will not store anything you leave, and we will charge the cost of disposal to you.
  • Leave the property clean and in a good state of repair, including fixtures, fittings and decorations.
  • Secure the property – lock all the doors and windows, including communal doors, and give us all the keys.
  • Turn off the gas, electricity and water supplies. Let us know who your suppliers are, and close your accounts with them.
  • Leave your wheelie bins at the property. They don’t have to be empty, but please make sure the lids close.
  • Redirect your mail.

We might ask to arrange for prospective new tenants to view the property before you leave.