Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Get your coronavirus vaccination at walk-in clinics in and around Cambridge – no appointment needed, but wear a face mask

Information for students

Now that you are a student, here are some things you need to think about:

Council tax

Moving out of halls? Renting privately? Please make sure you register for council tax. It is very important that you tell us if you are a full-time student and when you move to Cambridge. Find out more on our Council tax discounts and exemptions for students, apprentices and trainees page.

Use our my account system to register your move into / out of a property.

My account system

When you register online, you will need to supply your student number or upload your council tax student certificate if you are not at a Cambridge College.

  • Already registered? Have you told us you have moved? Do this via our my account system (link above) (remember to have your details handy).

Our booklet 'Your Council Tax, Your Services' [PDF, 2.5MB]  is a detailed guide to council tax, including what discounts or exemptions are available.

Sorting out your rubbish!

Make sure you know:

Need to dispose of a large item of furniture or appliance? We offer a bulky waste collection service, for a small fee.

There's a lot more advice and information, including some handy posters you can put alongside your bin to remind you what goes where on our recycling for students page.

Your environment

We want you to enjoy your time in our city, here's some things to be aware of:

Living in shared housing

If you are sharing your house with others, be aware about the property you are living in, known as houses in multiple occupation (living in shared housing).

Your right to vote

Don't lose your right to have a say in the local area or wider! Make sure you register, it's really easy and can be done online.
Go to: