You’re allowed up to four blue bins for mixed recycling, and four green bins for food and garden waste. You need a permit for each additional green bin. In certain circumstances you can have a second black bin for general waste.
|Bin colour||Type of waste||Maximum allowance||Delivery charge||Collection charge for additional bins||Alternative|
|Blue||Mixed recycling||4||Free||Free||Clear sacks|
|Green||Food and garden waste||4||Free||£35 per bin per year||Brown sacks|
|Black||General waste||2 (if eligible)||£25 or £50||Free||White sacks|
Bins are available in two sizes – standard and small. We issue them at our discretion.
- Standard bins: 107 × 48 × 74cm (240-litre capacity)
- Small bins: 107 × 48 × 56cm (140-litre capacity)
- If you’re moving into a newly built property, please check with the developer whether bins have been ordered before contacting us.
- If you’re requesting a replacement bin, please make sure your bin is actually lost.
To amend or cancel an order, please email email@example.com – make sure to tell us the order reference number.
Blue bins for mixed recycling
- 4 bins allowed per property
- No charge for emptying bins
- No delivery charge for additional bins
Occasional extra recycling can be placed in a transparent sack and put next to the bin on collection day.
Green bins for food and garden waste
- 4 green bins allowed per property
- No charge for emptying your first green bin
- £35 annual charge each October for emptying each additional bin – order a permit below
- Collected fortnightly from March to November, and monthly from December to February
Permits for additional green bins – currently unavailable
Delivery of additional green bins is suspended until further notice – you cannot request a permit at this time.
Black bins for general waste
- 2 bins allowed per property
- £25 or £50 delivery charge payable for delivery of additional bin
- Delivery charge applies to replacements for lost or damaged bins, unless we cause the damage
- Reconditioned bins can be requested at a discounted rate
- There is a fee of £25 for swapping a large black bin for a small black bin
- There is a fee of £50 for swapping a small black bin for a large black bin
We’ll only deliver a second black bin to properties with six or more residents, or with two or more children in nappies.
Second black bins will be delivered with a red lid or sticker attached. We will not empty additional black bins without red lids or stickers.
We are committed to reducing the amount of waste we collect, so we regularly review whether additional bins are still needed. If an additional bin is no longer needed, we will take it away.
There is no charge for delivery of an additional black bin if somebody living at your property has medical needs that necessitate one. You might be interested in our domestic clinical and hygiene waste collections.
Sacks instead of bins
You can ask us to provide sacks instead of bins. We’ll do so if:
- your property does not have space to store bins away from the pavement or road
- physical barriers prevent you from safely moving your bins to the collection point
Contact us to discuss switching to a sack collection. We will not collect sacks from properties without prior arrangement.
Sacks come in three colours:
- Clear sacks for mixed recycling - instead of blue bins
- Brown paper sacks for food and garden waste - instead of green bins
- White sacks for general waste - instead of black bins
Bins at new houses
A set of three 240-litre bins will be issued to new houses as standard - one blue, one green, and one black.
If you have moved into a new house and no bins have been delivered, check whether the developer or landlord has already ordered some before contacting us.
Bins issued to new houses cost £75 for a full set. Where S106 applies, the developer pays for the bins – otherwise the householder must pay.
Bins at blocks of flats
Contact us to order a communal bin for a block of flats. We’ll deliver a 660-litre or 1,100-litre wheeled bin, depending on the number of occupants that will use it and the available space.
- No delivery charge for blue or green bins
- Delivery charge applies for black bins
We only provide green bins for ground-floor flats that have their own garden. In this case the information given for green bins above applies.