Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Housing repairs for private tenants

This page is for tenants of private rented accommodation. We also provide advice about housing repairs for council tenants.

Your landlord must by law keep your accommodation in good repair. This includes facilities such as plumbing, heating and water systems, and the building exterior.

Your landlord must also keep your accommodation free from any hazards that could affect your health and safety.

You have the right to repairs regardless of what type of contract you have signed, although your landlord does not have to make repairs until you have reported them.

Always request a repair in writing and keep a copy of all correspondence. Shelter provide a letter template that you can use.

We can help you enforce your right to repairs, and have legal powers to deal with complaints – for example, falling plaster, defective wiring, or damp.

Contact us if you would like us to inspect your accommodation or want to make a complaint about the property you live in.