Skip To Main Content

Home contents insurance

When you rent a house from us, your rent payment does not include insurance. It is your responsibility to insure your furniture, belongings or decorations against theft, fire, vandalism and burst pipes.

We encourage you to insure your belongings, and can arrange home contents insurance for you through Allianz Insurance plc.

Prices start from:

  • 41p per week for tenants aged under 55, for a £9,000 sum insured
  • 27p per week for tenants aged 55 and over, for a £6,000 sum insured
  • 18p per week for residents of sheltered accommodation, for a £4,000 sum insured


By paying an additional premium, you can extend the insurance to include:

  • Extended accidental damage cover within the home (for example, if you were to spill paint while decorating, or knock over an ornament)
  • Personal possessions cover, including mobiles, anywhere in the UK
  • Wheelchairs and hearing aids
  • Garden hut, garage and greenhouse structures


  • No excess to pay if you make a claim
  • All postcodes included at no added cost
  • Pay weekly along with your rent

The cover is new for old cover, which means your belongings would be replaced as new, except for bed linen and clothing. They would be replaced at their current cost less an amount for wear and tear.


For more information download the application pack, which includes an application form and full instructions on how to apply. It also includes a handy checklist that will help you work out how much cover you need.

If you prefer, we can send you an application pack – contact us to arrange this. 

We are also able to provide this application book in braille, large print and as audio. If you require one of these formats please contact our customer service centre on 01223 457000.

Terms and conditions apply – ask us for a copy of the policy wording.

If you miss a payment the insurers may not pay a claim, and if you fall behind with your rent we may cancel your policy.