Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Get your coronavirus vaccination at walk-in clinics in and around Cambridge – no appointment needed, but wear a face mask

Helping homeless people access private rented accommodation

Do you need help to access private rented accommodation?

If you are homeless, or threatened with homelessness, you may be finding it hard to get a private tenancy. The City Council has two schemes that may be able to help you.

Further details regarding the Townhall Lettings Access Scheme can be found in the Townhall Lettings Access Scheme leaflet [PDF, 0.4MB].

The Single Homeless Service is for single homeless people who are at risk of sleeping rough.

The Townhall Lettings Access Scheme allows people with a local connection to Cambridge City to access good-quality private rented property. The scheme is suitable for people seeking shared, self-contained, or family accommodation. You should be homeless, or threatened with homelessness.

We offer suitable applicants either a bond/guarantee or a sum of money paid on their behalf to help with the first month’s rent and the deposit. If money is paid to the landlord on the tenant’s behalf, the Council arranges with the tenant for the money to be repaid. Any deposit that is to be returned at the end of the tenancy would be paid back to the tenant.

If you are interested in the Access Scheme, or have any further questions about how the scheme works, call our Customer Service Centre on 01223 457918.

You can also speak to our Landlord Liaison Officer, Dominic Lamch on 01223 457920, or email him at

Contact us