The Single Homelessness Service

The Single Homelessness Service (SHS) is a new option for you if you're likely to have nowhere to live. Through the SHS, we may be able to find a place to live, and help you settle you in your new home (including helping you work out how to pay the rent).

The information on this page is also available in our  SHS leaflet PDF 359kB


To be eligible, you need to:

  • be single and aged over 18
  • be homeless (or likely to lose your home) and either rough sleeping or at risk of rough sleeping
  • not be in 'priority need' for re-housing (ask a housing adviser to explain this)
  • have a 'local connection' to Cambridge City, South Cambridgeshire or Huntingdonshire.
  • be either claiming state benefits or able to claim benefits (so, you could be in work at present). If you're unsure about this, we can talk about it when you come to see us. 

You should have what we call 'low support needs', meaning you should be able to manage your tenancy (e.g. pay rent and bills, look after the property, get on with others) without long-term help.

How it works

To apply or find out more about the Single Homelessness Service, contact our housing advice service. They will ask you a series of questions about your circumstances, to assess whether you are suitable for the service.

If you're accepted on the service, we'll try to offer you accommodation somewhere in the Cambridgeshire sub-region. We may also be able to provide short-term accommodation if you have no option but to sleep rough, although this accommodation is very limited.

We'll refer you to our Rapid Response team. They'll make sure that you’re definitely suitable for the service, but more importantly they'll help you find your feet, by helping you connect to a GP, employment and other services. They can support you for up to three months.

The accommodation

Your new place will be good, safe, basic accommodation. It's likely to be a house-share, but could be a 'lodgings' arrangement. The rent should be affordable, but this means it's unlikely it will be in higher-priced areas (such as Cambridge city) – it may be outside of the city. You should talk to a housing adviser to find out what’s available at present.

We'll do our best to help you find a place to live, but this will depend on what’s available at the time. We can't guarantee that we'll be able to find a property for you, even if you're suitable for the service.

Contact us

Housing advice service

Leave feedback