Skip To Main Content

Guide for landlords

Our private rented sector housing standard provides a comprehensive reference for use by landlords and property professionals. Our aim is to work with landlords, tenants and other agencies to achieve safe, decent and affordable housing for all private rented sector tenants.

The standard addresses various aspects of property letting. In particular, it covers those that must be achieved to ensure tenants' health, safety and well-being, and compliance with legislation.

If you are considering renting out your home you may also find the following information valuable in ensuring that you make the right decisions.

Resident landlords

In addition to traditionally let properties there is a rising trend in resident landlords. This term usually referrers to properties where the landlord and their family are living with one or two lodgers.

Resident landlords still need to comply with relevant legislation and if you have more than two lodgers it is likely you will be classed as a house in multiple occupation (HMO).

The government provides a guide to becoming a resident landlord.

How would you rate your online experience?