Cambridge has the highest level of cycling in the country with one in three residents cycling to work.
Being a compact and flat city, cycling and walking are quick, cheap and pollution-free methods of travel. Cycling and walking are also great ways to exercise.
- Report overhanging vegetation, potholes, street lighting or traffic signal faults to the county council.
- Report an abandoned or missing bike, or report flytipping to us.
A number of schemes encouraging cycling and walking operate in Cambridge. Here are just a few that might interest you:
- The county council provides maps of local cycle routes
- You can borrow a pushchair when you park your bike at the Grand Arcade or Park Street cycle park
- Bikeability (formerly Cycling Proficiency) cycle training for primary school children is run in Cambridge by Outspoken
- Outspoken also provide cycle training for adult groups and individuals – anything from techniques for riding safely and confidently in traffic to learning to ride from scratch
- Camcycle is run by volunteers campaigning for the rights of cyclists and promoting cycling in and around Cambridge
- CycleStreets, created by members of Camcycle, provides cycling directions and a map showing the quickest walking and cycling routes around Cambridge
- Walkit shows the quickest walking routes around Cambridge, and calculates the carbon emissions you will save and the number of calories you will burn
- Big Walkies organises walks with mental and physical health benefits for local people and their dogs
There are a number of national schemes of note that might interest you too:
- Find out about National Bike Week and see how you can get involved
- Ride Social connects groups of cyclists together
- Sustrans is a charity that enables people to travel by foot, bike or public transport more often
- The Walking for Health initiative encourages people to enjoy their local surroundings while getting healthy by walking
- The Walking for Health walk finder offers local health walks which take 30 to 40 minutes, are buggy-friendly, and are for all abilities