You must meet a number of criteria to licence a private hire or hackney carriage vehicle.
Make sure you read our taxi licensing policy and handbook carefully before you apply for a new or renewed licence. Appendix I of the handbook explains the application process, and appendix R contains information about zero and ultra-low emission vehicles.
All new licensed saloon vehicles must be ultra-low or zero emission. This applies to both taxis (hackney carriages) and private-hire vehicles.
- Ultra-low emission vehicles are plug-in hybrid vehicles or extended range electric vehicles (E-Rev) with CO2 emissions less than 75g per km
- Zero-emission vehicles are those that emit no emissions during their operation. These include battery electric vehicles, hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, and electric vehicles
If you want to licence a new vehicle you must contact us to discuss your application before starting the process. This applies to existing licences or plates. The details of the process are set out below.
Book a vehicle test appointment
- Contact the garage on 01223 458266 to book your appointment. Appointments are available from 6.30am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday.
We require all licensed vehicles to be tested at least twice a year. The first test must be carried out before we grant the Licence (when a Certificate of Compliance will be issued). For a vehicle to pass, it must comply with both:
- Vehicle mechanical standard
- Vehicle visual standard
You’ll need to provide all details of the vehicle to be tested – registration, make, model and plate number.
Obtaining the vehicle licence
Only once a Certificate of Compliance has been obtained, can the rest of the application process take place.
- Call the Customer Service Centre on 01223 457888 to book your appointment to obtain your vehicle licence and plates.
At the appointment you will need to bring:
- A completed vehicle application form [PDF, 0.6MB]
- A completed joint proprietor continuation form [PDF, 0.2MB] (where applicable)
- A completed equality and diversity monitoring form [PDF, 0.1MB]
- A certificate of compliance and check list from the garage
- Insurance certificate
- In the case of a change of vehicle on an existing plate or renewal, you must hand in your existing plates before the new plates will be issued. Hackney carriage vehicles have one plate, and private hire vehicles have two plates
- The correct fee
For a new vehicle you will also need to produce:
- The V5 for the vehicle – or the new keeper's slip and a bill of sale if no V5 is available
- A vehicle type approval certificate – for converted wheelchair accessible vehicles
- Proof of identification
Change of ownership
You can apply to transfer the vehicle licence to another person(s) or add or remove individuals from the licence.
Any individual being added to the licence who has not been licensed by us must complete the following elements before we will accept their application:
- Submission of a completed Basic Disclosure
- Attend the Customer Awareness: Safeguarding, Equality and Protection training course and pass the test paper at the end
You will first need to complete the following documents:
- Change of vehicle licence proprietor application form [PDF, 0.4MB]
- New Non-driver proprietor registration form [PDF, 28Kb] - you will need to complete one of these for each new non-driver proprietor
When completed send these documents to email@example.com.
Please read the application form carefully and ensure you will have all the necessary information and documentation for the appointment.
Once all the above steps have been completed then you will be able to proceed to the change of ownership appointment. A fee is charged for this service.