Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Action on Energy grants for low-income households

Action on Energy logoWe provide grants to help low-income households install energy-efficiency improvements and low-carbon heating through our Action on Energy partnership with local councils.

The funding scheme is now closed for new applications. Information on any new schemes will be posted as soon as it is available.

The grants are available for homeowners and private landlords that meet both of the following criteria:

  • Homeowners or tenants on certain means-tested benefits (see ‘eligible benefits’ below) or with a total household income of less than £34,500 before tax or other deductions
  • The property’s Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating is E, F or G (as well as some D properties with gas boilers)

For homeowners the grant will cover 100% of the cost of improvements.

For landlords the grant will cover two-thirds of the cost of the improvements, with the landlord expected to cover the outstanding amount.

The maximum amount of grant available depends on the way the property is heated and its current EPC rating. The maximum ranges from £10,000 to £25,000 for homeowners, and £5,000 to £16,666 for landlords.

If you meet the eligibility criteria, our Trustmark-registered installer will visit your property to assess whether we could install any of the following improvements:

  • Cavity wall insulation
  • External or internal wall insulation
  • Loft insulation (or top-up)
  • Party wall insulation (between you and your neighbour)
  • Room-in-roof insulation
  • Flat room insulation

If funds allow, in addition to any insulation work, we will also consider installing photovoltaic solar panels for electricity.

The work will be done by our installer working to a new quality standard for the retrofit industry.

Contact us for more information about the Action on Energy grants.

Eligible benefits

You, or your tenants if you are a landlord, must either have an annual household income less than £30,000 or receive one of the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Council Tax Reduction, excluding the 25% single-occupant reduction
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
Hidden fields
Was this page helpful?
Was this page helpful?
Tell us why
Tell us why (required)

Tell us why
Tell us why (required)

How could we improve this page?