Skip To Main Content
Subscribe to email notifications of our service updates and news releases Sign up now

Coronavirus: Updates and information

Find out about available support, how to offer help, and how to look after your wellbeing. Our customer service centre is open to help you by email and phone. Please continue to follow official NHS and government advice.

Temporary event notices

If you plan to hold an ad-hoc event offering licensable activities in Cambridge, you must submit a temporary event notice (TEN) no later than 10 working days before the event, not including the date of submission and the date of the event.

You can submit a 'late TEN', which reduces the notice period to 5 working days, but in doing so you lose the ability to appeal against any objection lodged by us or the police.

A temporary event notice (TEN) only covers permissions for licensable activities. If the event is taking place in a property or on premises you do not own, you must obtain permission from the land owner. If you are planning to hold your event on city council-owned land, read our park hire webpage.


Download the relevant form and pay on the GOV.UK website:

A fee of £21.00 is payable upon application.

You will not be issued a certificate for the notice. You will instead need to ensure that your submission form is prominently displayed at the premises throughout the event.

If you prefer not to submit your notice online, you can complete a temporary event notice form and email it to us at, deliver it to our customer service centre on Regent Street, or post it to Commercial and Licensing Team, Cambridge City Council, Cambridge CB1 0JH.

Payment can be made in person at our customer service centre, by calling us on 01223 457700, or by cheque made out to Cambridge City Council.

If you do not submit your notice online, you must give us two copies and send a third copy to the police – visit them at the Parkside station or post it to Chief Officer of the Police, Parkside Police Station, Parkside, Cambridge CB1 1JG.

Required information

The Licensing Act 2003 requires that you provide the following information:

  • if alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user's authority
  • a statement relating to certain matters (see below)
  • any other required information

The matters referred to above are:

  • details of the licensable activities
  • the event period
  • the times when during that period the activities will take place
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • any other required matters


You must be 18 or older to submit a temporary event notice (TEN), and cannot submit more than one notice in any 24-hour period..

You can submit five TENs per calendar year, two of which can be a late TEN.

If you are a personal licence holder, you can submit up to 50 TENs per calendar year, 10 of which can be a late TEN.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 168 hours (one week).

A venue can host a maximum of 15 temporary events per calendar year.

We can only accept temporary event notice (TEN) submissions if the event takes place within the city boundary.

  • Use the find your local council tool on the GOV.UK website to check the local authority of any postcode

If the venue is in an area governed by two or more local authorities, you must submit a TEN to each of them.


We will acknowledge receipt of your temporary event notice (TEN) by emailing you within two days of receiving it. You will not receive further correspondence from us unless an objection is lodged, or we or the police have any questions or concerns about your event.

If we or the police believe that the running of the event will undermine one or more of the licensing objectives, an objection notice will be served. This notice must be served within 48 hours of receipt of the temporary event notice.

We must hold a committee hearing if an objection notice is served. The committee may issue a counter notice if it considers it necessary to promote the licensing objectives. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

If the objection relates to a late TEN then there is no facility to appeal nor is there a hearing. The event will not be able to go ahead.

We or the police may modify your notice with your consent. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.

A counter notice may also be issued if the number of TENs permitted to you or the venue has been exceeded.