This director is responsible for housing management under the City Homes banner, housing advice (including homelessness), the city council’s housing register, housing revenues and benefits and the repair and maintenance of council housing stock; a range of community services including community safety, neighbourhood community development including services for children and young people, and arts and recreation including sport, events on open spaces; environmental services including licensing and enforcement, air quality and food hygiene / business standards as well as maintenance of the city's parks, open spaces, streets and public areas, including dog warden and pest control services.
They also oversee our shared Waste service (shared with South Cambridgeshire District Council) and Cambridge Live (the cultural trust which runs the Corn Exchange, Folk Festival and other activities).
Services under this director are managed by these heads of service:
- Head of Community Services
- Head of Environmental Services
- Head of Housing Services
- Head of Maintenance and Assets
- Head of Revenue and Benefits
- Head of Community Services: Debbie Kaye
- Email email@example.com
Community Services is responsible for grants for leisure and sustainability projects, design and management of community centres, neighbourhood community development, and the Children and Young People's Participation Service (Chypps) as well as sport, recreational and cultural services, including events on open spaces.
It also manages the council's response to anti-social behaviour and our work with the Community Safety Partnership.
- Head of Environmental Services: Joel Carré
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Environmental Services plays a vital role in safeguarding the unique character of Cambridge and supporting the quality of life of our local communities.
We aim to preserve Cambridge's historic identity, its natural open spaces and ensure the cleanliness of its streets.
We aim to be at the forefront of low-carbon living and will continue to seek improvement in recycling opportunities, public transport, cycle routes and other environmental initiatives.
Through strong liaison with our local communities, we aim to deliver high-quality services that give everybody who lives in, works in or visits Cambridge a positive experience of it.
Under shared arrangements with Huntingdon District Council, we manage and maintain all of the council's fixed public-space CCTV cameras, and monitors CCTV installed in a range of council services, including car parks, housing projects, and the Mill Road depot, and also for a number of external customers. We also manage redeployable CCTV cameras that are temporarily located around the city, and a customer texting service, as well as dealing with the emergency calls into the council outside of normal hours.
Service responsibilities include:
- city rangers
- environmental health services and enforcement
- licensing of premises and taxis
- private-sector housing
- health promotion
- pollution monitoring for land and air quality
- promoting cycling and walking
- improving the local environment
- open spaces and grounds maintenance
- public art
- public conveniences
- removal of (and enforcement action against) litter, graffiti, fly-posting, fly-tipping and abandoned vehicles
- street cleansing (including the provision of litter, dog waste and street recycling bins)
- street name plates
- sustainable drainage and watercourse management
- tree management (including planting)
- Head of Housing Services: David Greening
- Email email@example.com
Housing Services includes:
City Homes which runs housing management including rent income management, the Independent Living Service including care and support in 13 sheltered housing schemes, and temporary housing and floating support services.
Housing Advice which is responsible for:
- Administering the council’s social housing register via Home-Link
- Preventing and relieving homelessness in the district
- Monitoring and reducing rough sleeping
Housing Strategy which is responsible for:
- producing and monitoring the council's Housing Strategy document
- working with housing associations and partners to build new affordable housing
- managing the business services required for the above and City Homes
Maintenance and Assets
- Head of Maintenance and Assets: Lynn Thomas
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Maintenance and Assets service's remit is to repair, modernise or adapt the council's housing stock while ensuring that the council provides attractive housing in environments people wish to live in. It also manages the shared service for the Home Improvement Agency (shared between the city council, South Cambridgeshire District Council and Huntingdonshire District Council). Examples of work carried out include repairs and maintenance, adaptations for disabled people and energy-efficiency improvements.
Revenues and Benefits
- Head of Revenues and Benefits: Alison Cole
- Email email@example.com
Revenue and Benefit Services is responsible for:
- the administration of housing benefit and council tax benefit
- the collection of local taxes including business rates
- management of the customer service centre
- the detection and prevention of benefit fraud