A small society lottery is promoted on behalf of a non-commercial society for:
- charitable purposes
- the purpose of enabling participating or supporting sport, athletics or cultural activity
- any other non-commercial purpose other than private gain
The total value of tickets for sale in a single lottery cannot exceed £20,000, and the aggregate value of tickets on sale in a calendar year cannot exceed £250,000. Anything above would be a large society lottery and a licence is required from the Gambling Commission.
Every society registered with us must submit a returns form following each draw.
Registration and returns forms
- Small society lottery registration form [RTF, 163KB]
- Small society lottery renewal form [RTF, 162KB]
- Small society lottery returns form [PDF, 51KB]
Download guidance notes for societies promoting lotteries [PDF, 33KB]. The guidance includes information about small society lotteries, exemptions, prize competitions and free draws.