Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Subscribe to email notifications of our service updates and news releases Sign up now

Coronavirus: Updates and information

Find out about available support and how to offer help. Our customer service centre is open to help you by email and phone. Please continue to follow official NHS and government advice.

Advice for people affected by domestic abuse

Domestic abuse is a crime. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Go to homepage

Use the above button if you need to leave this page quickly.

Please note that this will not clear your browsing history. There are a number of things you can do to hide your internet use – read Women’s Aid’s advice on how to cover your tracks online.

Domestic abuse is not just physical violence. It is any type of abuse from someone you have (or have had) a relationship with, including emotional, sexual or mental abuse.

Abusive behaviour includes acting in a controlling, coercive or threatening manner; typical actions might include taking your money, stopping you seeing your friends and family, or threatening your children or pets.

Domestic abuse can affect anyone.

Where to find help

During the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, domestic abuse services are still running. Boots have offered their chemists’ consulting rooms as Safe Spaces for victims of domestic abuse during the pandemic. You can request to use the room at any time. It will contain all the information you need, and provide a sanctuary to make relevant calls.

Our Housing Advice Service can help if you are living with domestic abuse.

We can help you prepare to leave and find a refuge, or we can help you secure your home so you can stay there safely.

We can advise on tenancy issues – including occupation orders, joint tenancies and homelessness – and can put you in touch with other organisations (some of which are listed below) that provide support and legal advice.

The Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence (DASV) Partnership maintains a domestic violence directory. It contains contact details of organisations that can help you or someone you know who is being affected by domestic violence.

The following websites also provide information, advice and support to people affected by domestic violence. Most have a telephone helpline.

Legal advice is available from several sources, including:

White Ribbon

Cambridge City Council achieved White Ribbon status in 2015. Visit the White Ribbon campaign website to find out more.