Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Cost of living support - grants, vouchers and advice to help you manage the rising cost of living.

Single person discount for people who live alone or with disregarded people

Your council tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a property. You may be able to get 25% off your council tax bill if:

  • you live on your own
  • the other people in your household are under 18 or not counted for council tax

This reduction is known as a single person discount.

Apply for single person discount

In the system, use the 'Apply for Council Tax reductions' link to apply. 

People who are not counted for council tax

These people are not counted (known as being 'disregarded') for council tax:

If a person is disregarded when we work out if any discounts should be applied to the bill, this does not affect their liability to pay the bill.

For example, a property might be jointly owned by two adults. If one of these people is disregarded then the bill would be for 75%, but both of the owners would be liable for that bill. The only exception to this rule is where one adult is a student.

Appeal our decision

You can appeal if you disagree with any decision relating to liability, discounts, reductions or exemptions.