Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Check the latest coronavirus information, including what support is available and how it has affected our services

Rent your spare room with Cambridge Supported Lodgings

Hosts, homes, hope: Cambridge Supported Lodgings

Do you have a spare room in your house that would be suitable for a lodger? If we provided full training and support, could we make this work?

Renting out a room can be a good way of earning extra money. We can help you negotiate a fair rent and work out the tax and benefits implications – including how to take advantage of the Government’s Rent-a-Room scheme.

We can match:

  • Suitable, well-vetted tenants, with
  • Friendly, welcoming hosts, into
  • Good quality houses.

Our team will carefully assess the people approaching our service. We create a personal action plan to help them manage their circumstances. We also work with you, advising on a wide range of potential issues, including property standards, rent collection, tax and benefits.

Most importantly, we work hard to match you with a suitable lodger and that the agreement – typically between three and nine months - is set up to succeed.

The main benefit of renting out a room is the impact you’ll have on someone’s life – providing a safe, stable environment for someone who needs it.

So, if you’re interested, contact us on 01223 457920 or email, our leaflets have more information:

General information about letting a room out in your property

The rules for renting out a room in your home are not too complicated, The guide to renting a room in your home is a good place to start.

  • The Suzy Lamplugh Trust provides advice on staying safe when looking for a house-share.
  • If someone has been a lodger before, ask for a reference from their previous landlord.
  • Take your time to talk to people viewing your property and lay down any ground rules early to avoid problems later on.
  • Put things in writing so there is no doubt. At a minimum you should write down how much the rent is, how frequently it needs to be paid, and whether it includes gas and electricity.
  • Remember, if you are a housing association or council tenant you must get written permission from your landlord before you let a room.