You must register any business that carries out any of the following skin-piercing activities:
- Semipermanent skin colouring, including make-up, micropigmentation, dermapigmentation, microblading, temporary tattooing, cosmetic tattooing
- Cosmetic piercing, including ear piercing and body piercing
Any apprentices that work with you must register too, and if you work from business premises you must also register that.
When you have registered, we will issue you a certificate of registration.
To register, download the form from the GOV.UK website:
You must provide specific information, including details of your premises. You must also declare any previous convictions for practising without a licence in this field.
Tacit approval does not apply – contact us if you have not heard from us within 40 days.
You must also tell us about any change to your business:
- Premises registration: £149
- Personal (practitioner) registration: £57
Inspection and enforcement
Tattooists are inspected annually by an enforcement officer.
Practitioners offering cosmetic piercing, acupuncture and electrolysis will be inspected by an enforcement officer on a risk-based schedule.
During the inspection the inspecting officer will look at the following areas:
- Suitability of fixtures and fittings
- Storage and sterilisation of equipment/facilities
- Cleanliness and washing facilities
- Record keeping
- Any other relevant health and safety issues