Parker's Piece is one of the best known open spaces in Cambridge. Located in the centre of the city it is bordered by Park Terrace, Regent Terrace, Parkside and Gonville Place.
The grass is well manicured and it is known today chiefly as a spot for picnics and games of football and cricket.
The gas lamp at the cross roads of the paths, erected in 1893, was nicknamed during the 1960's by students as Reality Checkpoint and is still known by this today.
The origin of the park's name is derived from Edward Parker, a cook who held the original lease to the land, which at the time was used as grazing land.