Mitcham's Corner Development Framework Supplementary Planning Document
The City Council as the Local Planning Authority has produced the Mitchams Corner Development Framework [PDF, 19.1MB] in partnership with local stakeholders. This document will manage change in the Mitcham's Corner area. The document includes the following key sections:
- Introduction and background;
- Context analysis: including historical context, existing scale, massing and land use and opportunities and constraints;
- The gyratory: a vision for change; and
- Planning and design guidance: focused on providing guidance for two key sites (Henry Giles House and the Staples Site) and the wider Opportunity Area.
The Mitcham's Corner Development Framework has been prepared to support Policy 21: Mitcham’s Corner Opportunity Area as set out in the Cambridge Local Plan 2014: Proposed Submission [PDF] (as amended by the Matter CC2 – City Centre and Areas of Major Change (Matter Statement by Cambridge City Council) [PDF, 15.9MB])).
After being approved for public consultation at Development Plan Scrutiny Sub Committee on 21 July 2016, the draft Mitcham's Corner Development Framework was the subject of consultation for 6 weeks between 5 September and 17 October 2016.
The Mitcham's Corner Development Framework was agreed at Development Plan Scrutiny Sub Committee on 25 January 2017 for approval, in anticipation of the adoption of the Local Plan, and it was agreed that it should be carried forward for adoption as a Supplementary Planning Document once the Local Plan is adopted.
The Mitcham’s Corner Development Framework takes the vision forward set out in the emerging Local Plan for the Mitcham’s Corner Opportunity Area by providing a more detailed framework to guide development.
This Development Framework is intended to expand upon the allocations as well as the policies contained within the emerging Local Plan. It provides a framework to help guide the preparation and assessment of future planning applications within the area. As such, this document will be adopted as a Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) and will form a material consideration which will be taken into account by Cambridge City Council when determining any future planning
application(s) for the area. Any proposals will have to comply with the policies in the emerging Local Plan.
Located to the north of the City Centre, Mitcham’s Corner covers an area of approximately 12.5 hectares. It is designated within the emerging Local Plan (2014) as an Opportunity Area, under Policy 21: Mitcham’s Corner Opportunity Area. This policy requires guidance to promote and shape overall change within the Opportunity Area during the life of the plan. The area contains a District Centre and proposal site R4 Henry Giles House, both of which are designated in the Local Plan.
Responses to the consultation
Public consultation on the document ran from:
9am on Monday 5 September 2016 to 5pm on Monday 17 October 2016.
How to view representations to the consultation
You can view responses to the draft Mitcham's Corner Development Framework Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) [PDF, 8.4MB] by visiting our online consultation page.
The consultation has now closed.
The Mitcham's Corner Development Framework's_Statement Of Consultation is also available to download.
The draft SPD and associated documents can also be purchased from the Customer Service Centre (phone 01223 457200).
- draft Mitcham's Corner Development Framework SPD low-res [PDF, 8.4MB]
- draft Mitcham's Corner Development Framework SPD hi-res [PDF, 36.2MB]
Other documents and web pages related to the consultation
- View comments to the consultation by visiting our online consultation page.
- Consultation response forms were made available as a PDF [PDF, 270kB] or as a rich text document [RTF, 336kB]
- Public notice [PDF, 88kB]
- Consultation notification letter [PDF, 199kB]
- Frequently Asked Questions about the consultation [PDF, 438kB]
- Habitats Regulations Assessment Screening Report July [PDF, 1.7MB]
- updated Habitats Regulations Assessment Screening Report [PDF, 1.4MB] following consultation with Natural England October 2016
- Sustainability Appraisal Screening Report [PDF, 0.5MB]
- Equalities Impact Assessment (EQIA) [PDF, 157kB]
- Statement of Consultation [PDF, 179kB]
- Mitcham’s Corner Opportunity Area Planning for Real Workshop: Event Record - low res [PDF, 1.6MB]
- Mitcham’s Corner – Reviving a key district centre within an improved transport network, produced by Ben Hamilton-Baillie [PDF, 1.1MB]
- Mitcham's Corner exhibition posters [PDF, 6MB]
- Mitcham's Corner leaflets [PDF, 474kB]
- Mitcham's Corner exhibition boards - board 1 [PDF, 1.6MB] | board 2 [PDF, 2.3MB] | board 3 [PDF, 7.4MB]
Further background documents
The Mitcham’s Corner Development Framework (SPD) can be purchased from the Customer Service Centre at Mandela House for £10. Call 01223 457200 for further information.
Sustainability Assessment, Habitats Regulations Assessment and Equalities Impact Assessment
A Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA) is an assessment to ensure that a plan will not have an adverse effect on the integrity of either Special Areas of Conservation (SAC) or Special Protection Areas (SPA). For the draft Mitcham's Corner Development Framework SPD [PDF, 8.4MB], a Habitats Regulations Assessment Screening Report [PDF, 1.4MB] was produced, which updates the findings of the Screening Report carried out for the emerging Local Plan. This document, which has been considered by Natural England, concluded that the draft Mitcham's Corner Development Framework SPD is unlikely to have any significant impacts on the conservation objectives of Natura 2000 and Ramsar sites identified.
A Sustainability Appraisal Screening Report [PDF, 0.5MB] was also completed for the draft Mitcham's Corner Development Framework SPD. This document confirmed that the designation of Mitcham's Corner as an Opportunity Area took place as part of the process of developing the Cambridge Local Plan 2014, and as such has been subject to a Sustainability Appraisal as part of the Local Plan process. The conclusion of this screening process is that the draft Mitcham's Corner Development Framework SPD [PDF, 8.4MB] did not make any changes to this allocation and will not give rise to significant environmental effects.
The draft Mitcham's Corner Development Framework SPD [PDF, 8.4MB] did not give rise to significant social and economic effects beyond those already identified as part of the appraisal of the parent policy and site allocation contained within the Cambridge Local Plan 2014. As such, it was not considered necessary to undertake a separate Sustainability Appraisal for this SPD.
In addition, an Equalities Impact Assessment (EQIA) [PDF, 157kB] to support the draft Development Framework SPD was produced. The assessment concludes that the draft Development Framework would not have any adverse effects on the needs of disabled people, older people and other local community members and minority groups.