Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Homes for Ukraine- FAQ

Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

What is the Homes for Ukraine scheme?

The Government’s Homes for Ukraine scheme asks UK residents to offer space in their homes for those fleeing the war. This will allow individuals, charities, community groups and businesses in the UK to bring Ukrainians to safety – including those with no family ties to the country.

Ukrainian people arriving under this scheme will be able to live and work in the UK for up to three years and access benefits, healthcare, employment, and other support. 

What is the Family Scheme?

The Ukraine Family Scheme allows family members of British nationals, UK settled persons and certain others to come to or stay in the UK. To apply to the scheme the applicant must:

  • be applying to join or accompany your UK-based family member
  • be Ukrainian or the immediate family member of a Ukrainian national who is applying to the scheme
  • have been residing in Ukraine on or immediately before 1 January 2022 (including those who have now left Ukraine).

There is no process to notify us of arrivals under this scheme. Local authorities will not receive any payments to account for pressures on education, social care and other services.

How do I register my interest in the Homes for Ukraine Scheme?

People or organisations wanting to be sponsors under the Homes for Ukraine scheme can register their interest on the government website.

When you have registered your interest you will also need to match with a Ukrainian guest. This could be someone that you already know.

There are several ways you can help support and sponsor a Ukrainian household if you do not already know anyone in need.

A number of charities and non-government organisations are working to offer services to match potential sponsors and Ukrainian households seeking to come to the UK.

See the government webpage advising organisations who can help UK citizens become sponsors.

I am a guest from Ukraine looking for a sponsor in the UK

I’ve registered my interest in becoming a host through the Homes for Ukraine Scheme but am yet to hear anything. When can I expect to hear?

Once the Home Office have processed your application and passed your details onto the local authority, you can expect to hear from us regarding the completion of housing and DBS checks.

We understand that you might have been waiting a while but we are working as fast as we can to reach the many people who have signed up as a sponsor through the Homes for Ukraine Scheme. Please be assured that we will be in contact with you in the near future to start the DBS and Housing checks.

Who receives data about hosts and those arriving through the Homes for Ukraine scheme?

Data comes to Cambridgeshire County Council who then share it with us.

What is the safeguarding check process?

We will be required to undertake basic DBS checks for all adults in the sponsor household.

In cases where the incoming arrivals include children and/or vulnerable adults, an enhanced DBS with barred lists check will be required on all adults in the sponsor household.

Welfare checks will also be arranged when your guests have arrived to check on their welfare and how they are settling into life in the city.  

What is the housing check process?

Housing checks are our responsibility. A process is currently being developed and this will be communicated with hosts in due course.

How will payments be administered to sponsors?

If the sponsor is accommodated in a Cambridge City Council ward then we will provide an interim payment (in line with other resettlement schemes) of £200 per guest for subsistence costs.

Sponsors will be eligible for an optional ‘thank you payment’ of £350 per month per household, not per person, as long as the sponsorship arrangement exists, for up to 12 months.

Read the government’s Homes for Ukraine scheme FAQ to find out more about the £350 payments.

How will education places be identified for school age children?

Councils are required to provide school places for children of school age.

What happens if the sponsorship breaks down?

There may be some cases where the sponsor/guest relationship breaks down and the guest is homeless or at risk of homelessness. Please contact us if you need to end the sponsorship arrangement early. Our statutory homelessness duties will apply in this instance. Where possible a rematch may be explored.

I am a refugee under the homes for Ukraine scheme and cannot find / do not have contact details for my sponsor. What should I do?

Please email

I am a host and I can no longer support my guest family. What should I do?

Please contact us and we will explore what support could be put in place.

I am a refugee/family and my housing situation has broken down with my host. What should I do?

Please email us at

How can I get food or essentials for my guests if I’m not able to provide them?

If you do not have food or other essentials provided and do not have access to money to buy what you need, check the available community food hubs, foodbanks and other food resources available in Cambridge.

Where can I find advice on hosting?

The No Accommodation Network (Naccom) have produced guidance, for hosts, prospective hosts, and any organisations working to make hosting arrangements a success.

How can sponsors and Ukraine residents check the progress of the Visa applications? 

You can track your visa application status online. Use the Reference Number present on the invoice/receipt issued by the Ukraine Visa Application Centre along with your last name to access this service.

Additionally you can contact UK Visas and Immigration on telephone: +44 808 164 8810. Phone lines are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm and Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 5.30pm. Calls are free of charge.