2 May 2020: The Government has provided additional funding of up to £150 towards your Council Tax bill, called a Covid-19 Hardship Payment. You must be receiving Council Tax Reduction already and still have to pay some Council Tax. This will appear on your bill if you are entitled, you do not need to claim it.
If you need help to pay your council tax bill, you might be eligible for Council Tax Reduction.
Council Tax Reduction and second adult rebate (see below) do not affect other benefits you get.
We credit any reduction to your council tax account to reduce your total bill. You'll receive a new bill showing the reduced amount of council tax you have to pay.
To work out your Council Tax Reduction, we'll look at:
- money you and your partner or civil partner have coming in, including earnings, some benefits and tax credits and things like occupational pensions
- your savings and your partner's or civil partner's savings
- your circumstances: for example your age, the size of your family and their ages, if you or any of your family are disabled, and if anyone who lives with you could help with the rent
If you're entitled to income support, income-based jobseeker's allowance (JSA) or the 'guarantee credit' of pension credit you could get maximum help with your council tax. There are a few exceptions listed in the table below.
Your individual circumstances can affect the amount you receive, so use the table below as a guide only
|Non-dependants receiving Income Support, income-based JSA or Pension Credit||No reduction||No reduction|
|Non-dependants in remunerative work with gross weekly income of less than £217||£4.32||£4.05|
|Non-dependants in remunerative work with gross weekly income from £217 to £376.99||£8.64||£8.25|
|Non-dependants in remunerative work with gross weekly income from £377 to £468.99||£10.88||£10.35|
|Non-dependants in remunerative work with gross weekly income of £469 or over||£13.02||£12.40|
|Non-dependants aged 18 or over and not in remunerative work||£4.32||£4.05|
|Dwelling occupied by a student or students and one or more people on Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or Pension Credit||N/A||100% off council tax bill|
|Rebate for second adults on Income Support, income-based JSA or Pension Credit||N/A||25% off council tax bill|
|Second adult's gross weekly income less than £194.95||N/A||15% off council tax bill|
|Second adult's gross weekly income from £194.96 to £252.50||N/A||7.5% off council tax bill|
Make a claim
You can make a claim online. Find our more about how to make a benefit claim.
You are not eligible, if:
- You have savings of over £16,000, unless you're aged 60 or over and getting the 'guarantee credit' of pension credit.
- You're an asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK.
If you're struggling to pay your council tax bill, and you've looked at all other options, we may be able to offer you a discretionary discount to help make your council tax instalments more affordable.
Second adult rebate (pensioners only)
Second adult rebate is for single people who pay council tax and share their home with another adult who is:
- on a low income
- aged 18 or over
- not your partner or civil partner
- not paying you rent
- not paying council tax themselves
We work out if you qualify for a second adult rebate at the same time as assessing you for a council tax reduction.
You may be able to get a second adult rebate even if you're:
- not entitled to council tax reduction
- only entitled to benefit which would cover 25 per cent or less of your council tax
|Reason for Council Tax reduction||Percentage of reduction|
|Rebate for second adults on Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or Pension Credit||25%|
|If the second adult's gross weekly income is less than £194.94||15%|
|If the second adult's gross weekly income is between £194.95 to £252.49||7.5%|
- If you're entitled to both council tax reduction and second adult rebate, you'll get the one that gives you most money.
- Your income and savings won't affect second adult rebate as it's based on the other person's circumstances.