Home adaptations for older or disabled council tenants

If you’re a council tenant and you need to install grab rails, lever taps, half-steps or second banister rails at home, contact us to discuss your requirements.

Larger adaptations to your home can also be carried out. These require assessment by an occupational therapist – contact the county council on 0345 045 5202 to arrange this. The occupational therapist will visit you at home and assess your needs, then write to us requesting any necessary adaptations. If the works are possible we will organise contractors to make the adaptations.

If you own your own home, or are a tenant of a private landlord or housing association, contact the Cambridgeshire Home Improvement Agency.

What type of work is undertaken?

Examples include:

  • accessible kitchens
  • ramps
  • walk-in and over-the-bath showers
  • stairlifts
  • ground-floor toilets

A property more suited to your needs

It may be more appropriate for you to move to a more suitable property. We may assist with moving costs and you might also receive financial incentives to downsize.

If we cannot adapt your property to meet your disability needs or you would like to move to a more suitable property, you can apply via Home-Link. If you have any queries please contact your housing officer or the adaptations officer.

We will arrange for an occupational therapist to identify the type of property suitable for you. This may be a city council home, one with a housing association or a newly-built adapted property. You will need to bid on suitable properties via Home-Link.

Contact us

Is this page helpful?

Website feedback form
Website feedback form

For questions about a service we provide, please use our contact us form

For feedback on our new website, please use our website improvements form

Was this page helpful? (required)
Website feedback form
Tell us why (required)
Website feedback form
Tell us why (required)
Website feedback form
Prove you are a human (required)