You must give notice to all relevant responsible authorities when you submit an application for a gambling premises licence, by giving each authority a copy of the application and any accompanying documents.
This also applies to provisional statements, variations and reviews.
For the contact details of the responsible authorities please see Appendix C of the gambling statement of principles (January 2019) [PDF, 2MB].
Advertising your application
The Gambling Act 2005 requires you to advertise an application for (or variation of) a premises licence (other than where the application is a fast track application), or a provisional statement.
An advertisement of an application must state:
- the name of the applicant
- the postal address of the premises (or, if there is no postal address, a description sufficient to enable location of the premises)
- the postal address of Cambridge City Council, where a register of applications is kept and where a record of the application may be inspected
- the date by which an interested party or responsible authority must make written representations to the licensing authority
- the relevant licensable activities or relevant qualifying club activities that the business proposes to carry out from the premises, and the hours during which these activities will take place
- that it is an offence to knowingly or recklessly make a false statement in connection with an application, and the maximum fine for which a person is liable on summary conviction for the offence
Advertisements must be printed in a local newspaper (or, if there is none, a local newsletter, circular or similar document circulating within the licensing authority’s area) on at least one occasion during the period of ten working days starting the day after the application submission.
In addition, a notice must be displayed prominently at or on the premises to which the application relates, from the day after the application submission. The notice must be:
- of a size equal to or larger than A4
- of a pale blue colour
- printed legibly in black ink or typed in black in a font of a size equal to or larger than 16 points
If the premises covers an area of more than 50 square metres, notices should be displayed every 50m along the external perimeter of the premises abutting any highway. This must be done:
- in places at which it can conveniently be read by members of the public from the exterior of the premises
- for a period of no less than 28 consecutive days, starting on the day on which the application was submitted
Notices and forms
- Gambling premises licence: Notice to display [RTF, 135KB]
- Gambling premises licence provisional statement: Notice to display [RTF, 135KB]
- Gambling premises licence: Notice of application to responsible authority (form A) [RTF, 152KB]
- Gambling premises licence: Notice of application to responsible authority (form B) [RTF, 170KB]
- Gambling premises licence provisional statement: Notice of application to responsible authority (form A) [RTF, 145KB]
- Gambling premises licence provisional statement: Notice of application to responsible authority (form B) [RTF, 167KB]