If you're struggling to pay your council tax bill, and you've looked at all other options, we may be able to offer you a discretionary discount to help make your council tax instalments more affordable.
- Council Tax Reduction to be eligible for a discretionary discount
- Even if you are getting Council Tax Reduction, you may still get extra help if the reduction doesn't meet your full council tax liability.
To qualify you:
- must be the person responsible for council tax;
- must be experiencing financial hardship or exceptional personal circumstances;
- must have taken all reasonable steps to increase your household income and/or reduce outgoings;
- should have claimed all eligible reductions and discounts towards your council tax bill.
An application for a discount must be made by the person(s) affected; we will look at your application to decide if:
- you should receive help towards your council tax,
- how much help you will receive and
- for how long the help will be given - this support is not intended to be given for long term or indefinite periods
Apply for a discount on our account amendment form.
The scheme is 'discretionary'; there is no statutory right to a reduction in council tax.
A successful application doesn't guarantee that a further award will be made at a later date even if your circumstances haven't changed.
More about the scheme: Discretionary Council Tax Reduction Scheme [PDF, 0.1MB].