Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Help us to improve our online services by telling us what you think

We will be holding user research sessions over the coming weeks and we are looking for people to take part.

Disabled Facilities Grant

Disabled Facilities Grants are available to carry out adaptation works that will help a disabled person remain living independently in their own home.

You can apply if you are:

  • a private tenant or owner of a property
  • a landlord on behalf of a disabled tenant

Council tenants need to be assessed by a Community Occupational Therapist before we can help you further - phone 0345 045 5202 to arrange this.

Applicants must sign a certificate of ownership or tenancy stating that they intend to occupy the home being adapted for at least five years.

Eligible work

Grants are awarded for essential adaptations to allow a disabled person better freedom of movement around their home.

Eligible works are assessed by an Occupational Therapist and include:

  • widening doors or installing ramps
  • installing a stair lift or door entry system
  • providing an adapted bathroom or kitchen
  • improving or installing a suitable heating system

We have to ensure that the work is necessary, appropriate, reasonable, practicable and feasible.

Available funding

The maximum amount available as a Disabled Facilities Grant is £30,000.

The grant is means tested to ensure that those in most need get help, unless the grant is for a disabled child.

The means test will assess the income and savings of the disabled person and their spouse or partner. You may be required to make a contribution towards the adaptation costs.

Further funding may be available if the costs of works will be more than £30,000. This may be awarded as a grant or a loan.


Our enquiry and application forms are being reviewed. Email or phone the Grants Officer on 01954 713071 to request a form.