You must register with the Home-Link website to apply for council or housing association housing in Cambridge. If you can't complete an online form, call 01223 457917 for advice.
All Home-Link users must reregister between 1 and 28 February. This is to ensure the information we hold for you is up-to-date and accurate before we change our IT supplier. If you do not reregister during this time, you will not be able to bid for properties when our new IT supplier takes over in April. You do not need to take any action yet – we’ll contact you nearer the time with further information.
Home-Link is a choice based lettings (CBL) scheme. After you join, you can see available homes and place bids for them.
- Properties usually go to the bidder who has been in the highest band for the longest time.
- Our lettings policy [PDF, 592KB]explains how we allocate housing
- Sometimes there is also a Local Lettings Plan which can affect who is offered a property
- The Home-link user guide_2016 [PDF, 2MB]explains how banding is allocated.
Already have a Home-Link account?
- If you already have a Home-Link account, see our webpage Managing your account to download forms, find out how to log in, bid, provide proofs and tell us about changes of circumstances.
What you need to know before you first apply
- The online form takes around 30-40 minutes to complete. You can save the application at any point and complete it later, even if you aren't on your own computer.
- You must have a local connection to Cambridge city. Our local connection rules leaflet [PDF, 70KB] explains how this works.
- You must be eligible for housing in the UK – read our Home-Link eligibility [PDF, 178KB] factsheet to find out more. If you are not eligible, check our help for ineligible people [PDF, 28KB] factsheet.
- The Home-Link proofs checklist [PDF, 33KB] lists the documents you will need to provide. From 21st August 2017, all new applicants must provide proofs when they register. (Applicants who are already registered will be notified when proofs must be provided - please ensure your contact details are kept up-to-date on the Home-Link website).
- We need details of all addresses for everyone on your application for the past 5 years, you may wish to gather this information before you begin.
- If you have any arrears (including housing benefit overpayments), you'll need to make (and stick to) a payment plan. Details are in the Housing Related Debt Policy [PDF, 234KB]
- The lettings policy [PDF, 592KB] explains how we allocate housing.
- The Home-Link Partnership Guide [PDF, 647KB] explains how Home-Link works across the sub-region.
- If you have health issues that are affected by your housing, you can use our online housing application form to tell us about it. Read our medical assessments factsheet [PDF, 126KB] to find out more.
A range of housing options
There's a significant shortage of social housing in Cambridge, particularly for people below 60 years of age.
Home-Link looks at a range of housing options. The registration process begins with an enhanced housing options assessment. This will help you to understand what may be appropriate for you, including the possibility of private renting or low cost home ownership.
Please note that this is not a ‘personalised housing plan’ within the meaning of the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017. If you are eligible and homeless, or threatened with homelessness within the next 56 days, you could be entitled to a personalised housing plan. Visit our help for homeless people page to find out more.