Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Subscribe to email notifications of our service updates and news releases Sign up now

Coronavirus: Updates and information

Find out about available support and how to offer help. Our customer service centre is open to help you by email and phone. Please continue to follow official NHS and government advice.

Compliments, complaints and suggestions

It’s always nice to know when we get things right, but we also want to know when we get things wrong.

Please tell us if you have something to say about any of our services. We will tell our staff what you think and use the information to continue to improve our services.

Compliments and suggestions

We would like to know if we have done things well and to hear your suggestions:

We will tell our staff what you think and use the information to continue to improve our services.

Is it a complaint, or a service request?

Service requests and complaints are slightly different. A service request is a contact from a customer that brings a matter to the council's attention for the first time, and requests a service offered by the council, for example, reporting a missed bin or telling us about noise nuisance.

A complaint is a where the customer expresses dissatisfaction about the standard of a service, actions, or lack of actions by the council and its staff.

If you think your concern might be a service request, please contact the service in question by visiting our contact us page. If you aren't sure, you can call the customer service centre using the details at the bottom of this page.


If you need to complain about one of our services, we will do our best to put things right and make sure that the same thing doesn't happen again to you or to someone else.

When you first make a complaint we need to know your name, how we can contact you, the details of your complaint, what you want us to do to put things right and whether you have raised this issue with us before and who was dealing with it.

We aim to reply to all complaints within 10 working days. If we need longer, we will tell you why. We will also let you know who is dealing with your complaint.

Please try to resolve problems by raising them with the person you have been dealing with in the first instance.

Make a complaint

There are two stages to our complaints procedure:

  • Stage one: Complaints being made for the first time. We will aim to respond to your complaint within 10 working days. If your complaint is not dealt with to your satisfaction, you can ask for your complaint to be escalated to a head of service or senior manager (Stage two of our complaints procedure).
    Stage two: Internal review by a head of service or senior manager. If you’re not happy with this response, you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.

Council tenants

Council tenants (and council leaseholders with a complaint about the council's management of their leasehold) can contact the new Housing Ombudsman rather than the Local Government Ombudsman. A complainant must first go fully through the council's complaints procedure, and 8 weeks after exhausting that procedure, they can take their complaint to the Housing Ombudsman at:

Complain about a councillor

If you wish to make a complaint about the conduct of a councillor, contact Tom Lewis, our monitoring officer.

  • Email
  • Phone 01223 457401
  • Write to: Tom Lewis, Monitoring Officer, Cambridge City Council, PO Box 700, Cambridge CB1 0JH

Complaint reports

Complaint policies