Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Check the latest coronavirus information, including what support is available and how it has affected our services

Check a tenant's right to rent

All private landlords, including people who sublet or take in lodgers, must check that their tenants have the right to be in the UK before renting a property.

You must check anybody aged 18 or over who will pay to use your property as their main home. Failure to carry out proper checks can result in fine of £3,000.

Before the start of a new tenancy, you must:

  • Obtain at least one form of proof from each prospective tenant
  • Check the document’s validity in the presence of the prospective tenant
  • Make and retain a clear copy of the document, and record the date the check was made

Full information, including a user guide, is available on the GOV.UK website:

Check if someone can rent your residential property

If your tenant’s stay in the UK is time-limited, you must carry out a further check before the expiry of their right to stay in the UK, or 12 months after the previous check.