Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Cost of living support - grants, vouchers and advice to help you manage the rising cost of living.

Building insurance at your leasehold property

Your personal possessions are not covered by building insurance – we encourage you to arrange contents insurance to cover them.

As the freehold owner of your property, we will arrange building insurance to cover the cost of rebuilding your home if is it damaged or destroyed. You pay a premium for this as part of your service charge.

You can download a summary of our building insurance cover with Protector Insurance [PDF, 0.1MB]. We can provide a copy of the full policy on request – there is a £30 administration fee for this.

Make a claim

If you need to make a claim against the building insurance, you must do so within 30 days of the incident occurring. The excess on any claim is £75.

Our insurance officer will contact you when we receive your claim form. We’ll arrange for a surveyor to visit your property to establish what damage has been caused and whether it is covered under the policy. If it is, we can arrange any necessary repair work.

If you plan to carry out the repairs yourself, please discuss this with the insurance officer. The insurance company will not reimburse you more than the work would cost if we arranged it for you.

What is not covered

To keep the building insurance premium as low as possible, fences and boundaries are excluded from the policy.

If as part of your lease you have a private garden that contains trees, the trees are your property to maintain. If a tree in your garden falls and causes injury or damage, you will be liable. You should ensure any trees on your property are checked periodically and maintained appropriately.

If your property is left empty for more than 30 days, parts of the building insurance will be invalidated. Malicious damage will not be covered, nor will damage caused by water escaping from any tank apparatus or pipe.

If your property becomes uninhabitable, the building insurance does not cover the cost of you making alternative living arrangements.

You should consider taking out additional insurance to ensure that you are fully covered for every eventuality.