Budget Setting Report and Budget Book
The Budget Setting Report is the Council's financial planning document.
The Budget Setting Report is produced each year and is designed to provide an integrated view of the whole of the Council's finances and outlook. It includes both General Fund revenue and overall capital expenditure by the Council. The General Fund is the account within which the majority of the Council's services are provided and funded and it is the account into which the proceeds of Council Tax are credited.
- The latest Budget Setting Report [PDF, 3MB] was presented to Council in February 2017.
A separate Housing Revenue Account Budget Setting Report is also produced. The Housing Revenue Account (HRA) records income and expenditure relating to the management and maintenance of council housing. The Council is not allowed to subsidise the HRA by making contributions from the General Fund.
- The latest HRA Budget Setting Report [PDF, 1020KB] was also presented to Council in February 2017.
The Budget Book is the Council's detailed published plan of all income and expenditure for the financial year. The Budget Book details:
- the General Fund revenue budgets, organised by committee. The net cost of services in the General Fund is financed by Council Tax
- the Housing Revenue Account budget, which comprises services provided for and paid for by council housing tenants
Copies of the Budget Book for previous years are available from the archive of financial publications.
Council tax leaflet
The council tax leaflet is a statutory document distributed with council tax and business rate bills every March.
The leaflet summarises how the city council, county council, police and fire authorities each spend their share of council tax.
We collect the tax on behalf of the other authorities and then redistribute it to them.
- Read more about how council tax is spent