Abbey pool complex
The Abbey pool complex includes two swimming pools, an outdoor interactive splashpad, recently refurbished gym, sauna, astroturf pitch and grass football pitches.
Swimming timetable and prices
General Swim Prices
|Age group||Non-member||Pay-and-play member||Pay-and-play student||Pay-and-play concession|
- Find out more about discounted member rates.
About the pools
- The larger pool is 25 metres long with five swimming lanes. It ranges in depth from 1.2 to 1.75 metres.
- The smaller learner pool is 12 metres square and is 0.8 metres deep throughout.
- The new gym has state-of-the-art Techno Gym equipment installed throughout.
- The splashpad is open from 10am - 6pm daily and all through the summer until mid September.
The complex is managed by GLL in partnership with the Council.
Updates and closures
Getting to the pools
- Cycle parking outside the main entrance
- Buses stop nearby on Whitehill Road. Check bus timetable information.
- By car, turn off Newmarket Road into Whitehill Road and take the third turning on the right into Pool Way. The pool is located at the bottom of this road on the right-hand side.
- Parking spaces for over 200 vehicles; four bays for disabled people; space for three coaches.
During public swimming sessions. Must be accompanied at all times by a person over 17 years of age. Please notify receptionist
BETTER holders aged 17 or under
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4-6pm. BETTER leisure upgrade subscription required (available from Abbey Pools, Parkside Pools)
For more information about free swiming times, offers and initiatives go to Swimming Initiatives, offers and admission policy
The complex is fully accessible, with level access throughout the ground floor and a lift to the gym on the first floor.
Two of the three changing rooms and shower facilities are built directly on the poolside. Each changing room has drop-down changing beds and one has a fully automated shower bed and hoist.
Access to both pools is available via a fixed hoist, and the learner pool also has gradual steps with handrails.
- modern changing rooms with showers and secure storage areas
- a 45-station gym
- a poolside sauna
- an exercise studio
- dedicated spinning studio
- astroturf and grass pitches
- a BMX track
- a children's play area
- free table tennis