The community rooms at 82 Akeman Street closed in October 2019. We have planning permission to demolish the building, and to redevelop the wider site. We’re going to build a new community centre and some new council homes.
We have moved down the road to 39 Akeman Street until the new centre opens in October 2020.
The centre is open to residents and community groups from 9am to 6pm every Monday to Friday.
Contact us for details of the activities taking place at the centre. We are limiting the number of people allowed in each room to 7 at a time.
The temporary community centre has:
- A large ground-floor meeting room for up to 10 adults or 15 children. There’s a kitchen with an oven, microwave and fridge, and tea and coffee-making facilities
- Two smaller upstairs meeting rooms suitable for one-to-one meetings, with access to an upstairs toilet. These rooms are only accessible by a staircase
- An outside enclosed rear garden and patio area that is available between 3.30 and 5.30 on Mondays and Fridays
- Ramped access to the rear entrance and garden area, and an accessible toilet
- Wi-Fi access
- Limited on-street parking in front of the centre
- A small staff office
Volunteer an hour of your time and we'll say thank you by letting you hire a room here for free. Find out more about earning time credits.
You can hire the meeting rooms, either separately or all together. If you want to do so, complete and return our booking form [PDF, 0.3MB].
We are unable to host parties at the centre. Most of our other community centres have rooms you can hire for parties.