Visiting Support service
Our Visiting Support service (formerly the 65+ scheme) is available for all Cambridge residents aged over 65, irrespective of what property they live in. The aim is to connect older people with services that help them remain independent and socially active, while making sure you have access to the care and support you need.
To request support, fill in and return a referral form:
Or contact us, details at the bottom of this page.
As part of the service, our experienced staff can:
- assess your support needs, emphasising choice and independence
- arrange help with personal care, meals and medication
- provide advice on housing
- help you access personal alarms, disability aids and welfare benefits
They can also link you up with:
- suitable support networks and social events
- help to prevent falls or help on coming out of hospital
- support for carers and family members
The service helps connect older people with services that help them remain independent and socially active, and ensure they are accessing the physical help they need.
Social activities are essential for older people to improve their physical health and mental wellbeing. It helps to get rid of depression, concentration problems and memory loss. It adds to your confidence and gives you a sense of independence.
The service runs a social calendar to help older people meet new people who want to socialise and take part in a variety of social activities.
Independent Living service newsletter
News about the service, recent events and projects, and volunteering.
- Independent Living service newsletter: February 2018 [PDF, 488kB]
- Independent Living service newsletter: July 2017 [PDF, 1.4MB]
Support for families and carers
There is an abundance of information, advice and assistance available to older people, families and carers, both locally and nationally. We have put together some links to articles and other websites which might be useful.
In some cases we may suggest that living in sheltered housing would be more appropriate for you, or you may already feel that is the case. We provide convenient and comfortable accommodation for people over 60 in 13 sheltered housing schemes around the city:
- Find out more about sheltered housing
60+ getting on line
We can help you learn how to use a computer. You can join a group or we can visit you individually at home if you prefer, even if you do not have an internet connection.
Our volunteer digital champions hold social, friendly sessions each week at various locations across the city, see link below.