Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Check the latest coronavirus information, including what support is available and how it has affected our services

Safety Advisory Group

The Safety Advisory Group (SAG) is made up of senior officers from all the emergency services (police, fire and rescue, ambulance, NHS Trust) as well as the City Council, Cambridgeshire County Council and other relevant organisations.

The group meets regularly to consider forthcoming events and to give advice to organisers.

If you're planning to hold an event which involves a large gathering of people, the Safety Advisory Group (SAG) would like you to provide details about the event. This will allow the group to assist with the planning and provide you with advice on a range of issues including safety, street closures and licences that may be required.

The group is chaired by this council.

Tell the group about your event

  • Give full details on our event form [PDF, 0.4MB]. Scan it and return it to us at, or post it to Licensing, Cambridge City Council, PO BOX 700, Cambridge CB1 0JH.

We suggest you tell us about your event as early as possible, even if the details haven't been confirmed.

Typical events we should know about

  • fetes and fairs
  • open-air concerts and music festivals
  • trade shows
  • sporting events
  • open-air entertainment
  • firework displays
  • large-scale company parties
  • processions, marches and carnivals
  • street parties
  • religious events

Event Safety

The event safety guide aims to help everyone who organises events to ensure that they run safely. The guide will enable event organisers to understand the needs of others concerned with the event, such as local authorities and the emergency services, so that they can all work together to improve event safety.  The guide is produced by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) and can be found here: event_safety_guide [PDF, 0.7MB]

Useful information

The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations provide guidance for temporary structures such as stages, and where to apply and what to consider.

Contact us at for guidance on food safety or hygiene regulations.

Find out more about food safety.