Skip To Main Content
Subscribe to email notifications of our service updates and news releases Sign up now

Coronavirus: Updates and information

Find out about available support, how to offer help, and how to look after your wellbeing. Our customer service centre is open to help you by email and phone. Please continue to follow official NHS and government advice.

Reduced noise complaints service until further notice

We’ll attend if appropriate and safe to do so, but will not enter any property

Report a noise issue

Everyone's perception of noise, or unwanted sound, is different. It's not just a question of sound levels in decibels, but of what is acceptable to the average person – and what one person considers unacceptable may not seem unreasonable to somebody else.

If you are being disturbed by noise you should first try to have a friendly conversation with the person causing it – they may not be aware that they are causing a problem.

If you are unable to resolve the issue you should contact us to assist you. You also have the right to take your own legal action.

Report a new complaint online

  • To tell us about an ongoing complaint, contact us by phone or email
  • Phone us to report serious noise issues outside of our business hours. We run an out-of-hours service from 7pm to 7am on Thursday to Sunday, and from 9am to 5pm at the weekend.

We have a duty to deal with statutory nuisances, which are defined by the Environmental Protection Act 1990 as “prejudicial to health or a nuisance” – in other words, noise that would be considered a nuisance to the average person, rather than noise of a specific volume.

Our officers are trained to decide if the noise you are being disturbed by is a statutory nuisance. If we believe a statutory nuisance exists we will serve an abatement notice which if breached may resolve in court proceedings.

Note that noise caused by aircraft and trains is not within our jurisdiction:

Noise-reduction guides

If you are planning an event that might cause a lot of noise, or are thinking of busking in the city centre, these guides offer advice on how to minimise the chances of anybody wanting to complain:

How we respond to reported noise issues

We have to decide what is reasonable and what is not before taking action. The Environmental Protection Act 1990 sets out the legal provisions regarding the investigation of noise nuisance and the relevant enforcement powers, and our officers are experienced at judging issues and enforcing suitable solutions.

When an issue is reported to us, the first thing we do is check whether there have been any similar complaints made against the person or property in the past. If we have not received similar complaints in the last 12 months we consider this to be a new complaint.

We’ll contact you to discuss your concerns in more detail. We might ask you to keep a diary of the extent of the issue, including for example the date, time, duration, and a description of the noise each time it occurs.

If there is a problem that we have power to take action over, we will contact the person who is causing the issue. We’ll give them advice on how to avoid further complaints being made about them.

If the issue persists and we are satisfied that a nuisance is being caused, we will usually serve a statutory noise abatement notice, to prevent a recurrence of the problem. The notice will require the noise to be reduced to a level which is not a statutory nuisance, within a reasonable time dependent on the circumstances of the case.

Any breach of this notice may lead to prosecution or seizure of noise making equipment.

Take a noise complaint to court

The Environmental Protection Act 1990 gives you the right to take a noise complaint to your local magistrate’s court, where a nuisance order can be issued and a fine imposed.

If you wish to do this, you should first make a record of the problem – including for example the date, time, duration, and a description of the noise each time – and notify the person causing the noise that you plan to take legal action against them.

If the noise continues unabated you should visit the warrant office at the magistrate’s court, who will guide you through the process. It is also recommended that you discuss the matter with a solicitor.

Contact us