Skip To Main Content

Register to vote or update your details

If your name isn't on the electoral register, you can't have your say in issues that affect you. It's easy to register. You just need to provide a few details, including your national insurance number and date of birth.

In order to vote in the General Election on 12 December, you must make your application to register to vote before midnight on Tuesday 26 November.

When registered, your details will be added to the electoral register. Jump to the application deadlines for 2018/19.

We are currently undertaking the annual canvass of all residential properties in Cambridge to see who is eligible to be registered to vote and to make sure the data we hold is correct.

If you have received an enquiry form, you can respond by using the two-part security code shown on your enquiry form.

If you have changes to tell us about or there are no changes, you can:

Only if there are no changes to make to the people at your address, you can also respond by:

  • Texting 07786 209 430 (message and data rates may apply), or
  • Calling our automated phone line 0808 284 1430 (Freephone).

Who can register

You can register to vote if you are:

  • 16 years or over (although you can't vote until you're 18); and
  • a British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen (eligible for all elections)
  • or a citizen of a European Union country (eligible for local and European parliamentary elections only)
  • and living at an address in the authority's area


  • After Brexit, EU citizens living in the UK will only retain their voting rights here if the Government agrees arrangements with each individual country. As at October 2019 only the Republic of Ireland, Luxembourg, Portugal & Spain have voting rights in place. Voting rights for UK resident citizens of Cyprus & Malta are not affected by Brexit as they retain voting rights as citizens of the Commonwealth.
  • Nationals of The Gambia and The Maldives are no longer eligible to register to vote in the UK, following their withdrawal from the Commonwealth and the subsequent amendment to UK legislation that removed their voting franchise.

Particular circumstances

If your circumstances are not listed below, you can email us at for further information.

If you're a student

You can register to vote at both your term-time address and your home address, if you wish. You'll need to make two separate applications. Make sure that you register at the address at which you physically live in Cambridge, not the correspondence address for your college or hall.

Remember, it's a criminal offence to vote more than once in the same election. This means that you may vote in local elections from both addresses if they are for different local councils (as they are separate elections). You may only vote from one address for national elections, such as a parliamentary 'general' or European election.

If you are aged 16 or 17

You can register to vote before you are 18, although you can’t vote until the day of your 18th birthday. When you apply you will be asked for your National Insurance number.

You can still register if you have not yet received your National Insurance number, but we will need to see proof of your identity, so it might take a bit longer to process your registration. We’ll send you a list of which documents you can use as identification – it includes a passport and a full or provisional driving licence.

If you live on a houseboat

If your boat has a permanent mooring in the city, you can register to vote in respect of your houseboat. If you don't have a permanent mooring, you should register with a declaration of local connection.

If you live outside the UK

If you're a British national living abroad, you can register to vote at General and European elections for up to 15 years from the date you were last registered as an ordinary elector. You should register in respect of the last address you lived at in the UK.

If you will not be visiting the UK when an election is taking place, you'll need to apply for either a postal vote or a proxy vote. We advise that you appoint a proxy to vote on your behalf as, while we make every effort to get your postal vote issued in good time, we can't guarantee that it will reach you and be returned in time to be counted.

If you're a member of the armed forces

If you or your spouse/civil partner serve in the armed forces, you can register to vote for the armed forces in one of two ways:

  • You can register each year as an ordinary elector at the address where you live, or
  • You can register as a service voter with a five year registration, in respect of the last address where you lived or the address you would live were you not serving away from home.

If you're posted abroad as a crown servant or British Council employee

You and your spouse/partner can register to vote for Crown Servants or British Council employees in respect of the address you last lived at in the UK, or the address you would live at were you not posted abroad.

If you will not be visiting the UK when an election is taking place, you'll need to apply for either a postal vote or a proxy vote. We advise that you appoint a proxy to vote on your behalf as, while we make every effort to get your postal vote issued in good time, we can't guarantee that it will reach you and be returned in time to be counted.

If you do not have a fixed address

You can register with a declaration of local connection for an address or place where you spend a substantial part of your time. For example a night shelter, drop-in centre or even a park bench.

If you live in a House of Multiple Occupation (HMO)

It is important that we obtain information on every person in Cambridge who is eligible to vote. However, you may live in an HMO and not know the name of everyone in the property. If you cannot obtain all the names, or if some people refuse to give their name for the form, please complete the form as fully as you can and then tell us in the 'declaration' section how many people are not listed or have refused to provide the information. We can then make further enquiries to try and establish who else lives at the address.

Registration deadlines

Registration deadlines 2018/19
If you apply before midnight on: You will be registered from:
Thursday 22 November 2018 Saturday 1 December 2018
Tuesday 11 December 2018 Wednesday 2 January 2019
Thursday 10 January 2019 Friday 1 February 2019
Thursday 7 February 2019 Friday 1 March 2019
Friday 8 March 2019 Monday 1 April 2019
Friday 12 April 2019 (last registration deadline before the 2 May elections) Thursday 25 April 2019
Friday 10 May 2019 Monday 3 June 2019
Friday 7 June 2019 Monday 1 July 2019
Wednesday 10 July 2019 Thursday 1 August 2019
Friday 9 August 2019 Monday 2 September 2019
Monday 9 September 2019 Tuesday 1 October 2019
Thursday 10 October 2019 Friday 1 November 2019
Thursday 19 December 2019 Wednesday 1 January 2020

There are usually no updates to the register during October and November, when we conduct the annual canvass in order to publish a revised register of electors by 1 December each year.

However, because of the General Election called for 12 December 2019, the register was updated as per the above table, and so the revised register of electors will now be published on 1 January 2020.

How would you rate your online experience?