Improve your home’s energy efficiency
- Install the recommended depth of loft insulation (270mm or 10 inches) in a loft with no insulation could reduce your annual fuel bill by up to £180 (£25 saving if there is already 100mm in the loft).
- Insulating the cavity walls of your home will keep the heat in and could reduce your fuel bill by up to £140 a year.
- Replace your boiler: If your boiler is 15 years old or more, replacing it with a new high efficiency boiler can save you around a third on your heating bills.
- Buy A rated appliances which use less energy and water.
- Install a renewable energy system and take advantage of the Feed in Tariff and the Renewable Heat Incentive. See which renewable energy options are right for your home.
- Switch to a green electricity tariff - Green electricity marketplace gives details and comparisons of green tariffs available in the eastern England region.
Be more energy efficient
- Get a smart meter installed - these provide you with real-time information about energy use, allowing you to see the energy you are using so that you can try to reduce it.
- To cut down on wasted energy, avoid leaving appliances such as TVs on standby and remember not to leave appliances on charge unnecessarily, such as mobile phones.
- Always wash a full load in your washing machine, at 30°C, or use a half-load or economy setting.
- Use your heating system's programmer and timer to control your heating to come on only when you need it and to 18°C.
- Close your curtains at dusk to stop heat escaping through the windows and fit draught-proofing to seal any gaps around windows and doors to stop heat escaping.
- There are lots of small things you can do for free or at a low cost around the home to save money on your energy bills. Find out how by visiting www.energysavingtrust.org.uk or by calling 0300 123 1234.
Visit our home energy and water use pages for more information about reducing your energy and water bills.
Our 'Greening your home' booklet will provide you with the information you need to make your home and lifestyle greener.