Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Cost of living support - grants, vouchers and advice to help you manage the rising cost of living.

Privacy notice for representations

Who we are

This privacy notice explains how the Greater Cambridge Planning Service uses information in the course of providing planning services to Cambridge City and South Cambridgeshire District Councils. This work includes:

  • Making decisions and providing advice on planning applications
  • Responding to allegations of unlawful development
  • Monitoring development
  • Entering legal agreements, serving notices and promoting the best use of land

Why we require this personal information?

We require personal data to process comments so that we know where the comment or information came from and can weigh the relevance of any comments made. We may use the information provided to contact you about the application you have commented on.

What we do with this information

This information will be used by Cambridge City and South Cambridge District Councils in determining an application for planning permission. This function is known as a “public task” and is why we do not need you to “opt in” to allow this information to be used.

We process this information as a (Public task) Statutory Duty as laid out in the Town and Country Planning Act and we cannot process your comments unless you provide this personal information. If you do not or if you refuse to allow us to share information we will not be able to carry out the service for you.

We may process the information you provide to prevent and detect fraud in any of our systems and may supply information to government agencies, credit reference agencies, audit or other external bodies for such purposes. We participate in the Cabinet Office’s National Fraud Initiative.

As we process this information as a statutory duty you hold the following rights with regard to the personal data provided to us when making comments:

Right to Access – You have the right to access (receive a copy) of your personal data and supplementary information.

Right to Rectification – You have the right to have any inaccurate or incomplete personal data rectified.

Right to Restriction – You have the right to request a restriction of the processing of your personal data in situations where it is inaccurate, unlawful, and no longer needed for the purposes for which it was originally collected, or if a withdrawal of consent has been made.

The comments provided will form part of our public register of applications and, as such, will be open to public inspection at our offices and on our website and your comment will be attributed to your address. However, personal information including your name and contact details will be redacted. In the event of an appeal, representations will be forwarded to the Planning Inspectorate and the appellant. The Planning Inspectorate may publish appeal documentation, including copies of representations received.

How we share this information

We do not sell information to other organisations. We do not move information beyond the UK. We do not use information for automated decision making.

We sometimes need to share the information we have with other departments within our Councils, for example to establish how long a building has been used as a dwelling or if you object to a proposal on noise grounds and we feel Environmental Health should be aware.

Redaction (‘blanking things out’)

We operate a policy where we routinely redact the following details before making forms and documents available online:

  • Personal contact details – e.g. name, telephone numbers, email addresses
  • Signatures
  • Special Category Data - e.g. supporting statements that include information about health conditions or ethnic origin

Retention (‘how long we keep your information for’)

The Town and Country Planning Act requires us to hold most types of applications on our public register permanently. You can find out more by looking at the relevant sections in our retention policy [PDF, 0.7MB] and SCDC's privacy notice.

Complaints and problems

You can find out more about how we handle data by reading our privacy notice and SCDC's privacy notice.

If you think we have got something wrong or if you are concerned with the way we are handling your data please contact us by emailing for Cambridge City applications or for South Cambridgeshire District applications. Alternatively you can call the telephone numbers above.

If you have a query regarding your rights please contact the Data Protection Officer by email, or by letter marked for the attention of the Data Protection Officer to either of the addresses above. 

If we fail to respond properly you can direct your concerns to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).